June 29, 1988: The U.S. Supreme Court rules in CWA v. Beck that, in a union security agreement, a union can collect as dues from non-members only that money necessary to perform its duties as a collective bargaining representative.
• The unemployment rate fell to 7.8%. That's a BIG deal.
• Still, we have a good jobs problem.
• Here's how a union creates jobs.
• Privatization: Costs more, provides less.
• The corporate war on workers includes–silencing unions.
• Where does the GOP disdain for workers come from?
Very cool rendition of "We Are the Union" by newly-organized NYC workers:
US labour news headlines from LabourStart