Oct. 24, 1940: The 40-hour work week goes into effect under the Fair Labor Standards Act, signed by President Roosevelt two years earlier.
• The unemployment rate fell to 7.8%. That's a BIG deal.
• Still, we have a good jobs problem.
• Here's how a union creates jobs.
• Privatization: Costs more, provides less.
• The corporate war on workers includes–silencing unions.
• Where does the GOP disdain for workers come from?
Very cool rendition of "We Are the Union" by newly-organized NYC workers:
US labour news headlines from LabourStart