Mar. 24, 1900: Groundbreaking on the first section of the New York City subway system, from City Hall to the Bronx. According to the New York Times, this was a worker’s review of the digging style of the well-dressed Subway Commissioners: "I wouldn't give th' Commish'ners foive cents a day fer a digging job. They're too shtiff."
• 3 good reasons right-wingers should like unions.
• The red-state strategy to wipe out the middle class.
• Hey Wal-Mart, let's call it what it is: Slavery.
• The largest climate rally in U.S. history - The National Mall, 2/17.
• Cliff notes on Pres. Obama's State of the Union address.
• A fitting tribute to James R. Hoffa on his 100th birthday: